Church Buildings - Saint Saviour's Church

​St. Saviour’s Church

St Saviour's Church

 

St Saviour's Church is in the centre of the village; built just over a hundred years ago, it has an excellent Church Hall which serves as an amenity for many people and accommodates our thriving Youth Groups - Sparklers, Bright Sparks, Pathfinders and Blaze. Many other activites are held here including Dance,  Beavers, Brownies, Guides etc etc

St. Saviour’s Church is situated close to the centre of the village, near the Watersplash.

HISTORY                                                        
It was the original intention of Lieut.-Commander and Mrs. E.L.Walker-Munro to build a private chapel for their residence, Rhinefield House, completed in 1890 two miles to the west of Brockenhurst – and now converted into an hotel.  However, the then Vicar persuaded the Walker-Munros that a new and larger church would be of great value to the village and the present site was chosen. The architects were Romaine-Walker and Besant of Old Bond Street, London.

St. Saviour’s was started in 1895 and is a remarkable example of late Victorian Gothic. As the work progressed the expense came to exceed the original estimate so that building was stopped by 1903 and a temporary wall was  erected at the west end. 

The church was opened for worship in 1905 and was conveyed to the Winchester Diocesan Trustees in 1914 and to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1922. Through the generosity of the donors’ four grandsons, work on the west end was resumed in 1960 and the present structure completed in 1961.

There are 30 parking spaces for St Saviour's Church and Hall and they tend to fill up quickly at events. There is a car park opposite Tesco's in Brookley Road (there is a charge for parking here) and limited parking on The Rise.


Church Buildings and History
Webpage icon Church Buildings - Saint Nicholas' Church
Webpage icon Church Buildings - The Church Hall
Webpage icon Church Buildings and History
Webpage icon New Zealand War Graves